Business PlanPromote existing major sports organizations and events.
- Promote and market the Carolina Hurricanes when the season begins.
- Place banners in downtown Raleigh.
- Celebrate the commencement of the 2007-08 NHL season with the We Love the Hurricanes Luncheon.
- Schedule regular meetings with Hurricanes marketing and ticket directors to discuss additional ways to provide assistance.
- Establish a community protocol to capitalize on and celebrate major sports events and successes.
- Meet with the Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau, Downtown Raleigh Alliance, City of Raleigh, Wake County, and the Centennial Authority.
- Prepare plan by Jan. 30, 2008.
- Publicize select corporate sponsorships and season ticket opportunities to the membership.
- Serve on the Local Organizing Committee for the 2008 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament First and Second Rounds and assist with marketing and promotion of the event.
- Promote local universities and public facilities by hosting Sports Council events at their venues.
- Provide marketing support for the 2008 Rex Hospital Open.
- Provide marketing support for the 2008 SAS Championship.
- Support NCHSAA State Championship events held within the region.
Promote and Support the 2008 MEAC Basketball Tournament.
- Improve financial outcome of the 2008 MEAC basketball tournament through reduction of expenses and increased sponsorships.
- Work with the MEAC event coordinator and steering committee to market and promote the event.
- Assist the City of Raleigh, Wake County and MEAC steering committee with hosting the event.
- Coordinate with the MEAC Conference Office on events, promotion and fulfillment of sponsorship benefits.
- Collaborate with city, county, GRCVB and MEAC steering committee on submission of bid and/or negotiation of MEAC tournament contract extension past 2008.
Create value for Greater Raleigh Sports Council members.
- Work with local sports teams to provide sporting events ticket discounts and other exclusive opportunities.
- Provide member discounts on team merchandise, Sports Council member products and services, and other select items.
- Enhance and maintain comprehensive Web site to include membership information, calendar of Sports Council events, and links to team schedules and sporting events.
- Conduct four regularly scheduled quarterly membership meetings (winter, spring, summer and fall) to offer networking opportunities with high-profile local, regional and national sports personalities.
- Engage Sports Council members with volunteer opportunities at area events.
- Provide unique interactive sports opportunities to Sports Council members.
- Communicate with Sports Council members through quarterly issues of “The Ticket” and special e-news updates to promote major sporting events.
- Benchmark with other regional sports commissions to determine best practices for the Sports Council.
Attract new major sporting events to the region that yield positive economic impact and increase national exposure.
- Emulate, review and adopt best practice methods of other sports commissions.
- Re-establish the Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance and conduct quarterly meetings.
- Include representatives from Centennial Authority, Gale Force Holdings, Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau, and major universities in the Alliance.
- Develop a strategic plan to target and recruit sporting events that will yield a positive economic impact and increase national exposure for the region.
- Update and expand the 10-year plan for sports growth in Raleigh and Wake County.
- Use the steering committee as a sounding board for proposed new area sports initiatives.
- Review the RFP for relocation of USA Basketball Headquarters for feasibility and work with GRCVB, local universities and others to submit bid.
Promote local sports growth and development through the Evening of Champions awards banquet and other community initiatives.
- Hold the Sports Council signature event, Evening of Champions, in February 2008.
- Market and promote the event to generate attendance of 400 or more with significant media coverage.
Increase and retain membership of the Greater Raleigh Sports Council.
- Conduct membership campaign to increase total number of members by five percent.
- Identify strategies to retain current membership at the rate of 80 percent.
- Develop partnership opportunities with area print, television and radio media outlets to promote the Sports Council’s mission and events.